According to reports, Mariama, a young woman from Ghana, died from wounds she received in an explosion during the Afrochella Music Festival in December 2022.
Mariama had reportedly been recruited by a vendor to work the festival day, but she met an early end after suffering injuries in a gas explosion that occurred on the festival grounds, according to reports.
Despite the fact that her family had already spent tens of thousands of Ghanaian cedis on her hospitalization and care, sources claim that the vendor Mariama was rushed to the hospital where she was admitted, and the vendor she was working for at the event showed up only once to see her at the hospital and left the family with GH1,800.
Mariama’s family is alleged to have spent close to GH40,000 on her medical care up to her passing, with no help from the event promoters who hired her.
The event’s organizers have been accused by the victim’s grieving family of leaving their loved one to perish after they sustained burns in the mishap in December.
The Afrochella organizers have already issued a statement confirming Mariama’s passing and outlining the events that led to it.
The organizers have spoken with Mariama’s family and are assisting the Police in their investigation, according to a statement dated January 13, 2023.
We visited with the family since the occurrence to offer our heartfelt sympathies and support. We shall maintain communication with the Cantonments Police Station throughout this period. We mourn with family and friends and pray for everyone who has been impacted by this unfathomable tragedy, the statement said as further information came to light.
Detailed statement is below;
We were profoundly grieved to learn of the unexpected demise on Monday, January 9th of a young lady who was working for a vendor due to wounds she received in a fire mishap that happened in the vendor village during our Festival. Our major focus continues to be the safety and security of everyone in attendance, thus we are devastated to learn of this sad incident.
We offer onsite safety and fire services throughout all of our events as one of the numerous safety measures we take to protect the wellness of our workers, partners, suppliers, and visitors. The Ghana National Fire Service examines the festival grounds each year, checking each each vendor that works there. Despite our best efforts to ensure everyone’s safety, an accident nonetheless happened, injuring three persons working at the booth in total. Our on-site ambulance services sent them all to the hospital for emergency care. Investigations are being carried out by the authorities.
As a part of the charm of our experience, we think that our vendor display, a particularly special relationship, allows festival attendees the chance to support locally owned companies and have a true flavor of Ghana.
We have spoken with the family following the occurrence to offer our deepest sympathies and assistance. We will be in touch with the Cantonments Police Station at this period. We grieve with family and friends and pray for everyone who has been impacted by this unfathomable tragedy as information continue to emerge.
Let’s check the statement below;